Wednesday 24 October 2007

Toblerone Brownies

We had friends over today. I know, two weeks in a row. Don't worry, I won't get used to it.
I know this particular friend is as keen on chocolate as I am, so decided to impress her and make her want to stay forever
make her put on loads of weight please her with these, my favourite and bestest brownies.
To make these, you will need
400g Toblerone. Ideally lots of the tiny Toblerone bars, but Budgens didn't have them so I had to use 2 200g ones.
350g plain chocolate, the higher the cocoa content the better.
250g butter
250g sugar
3 tablespoons strong black coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
75g self raising flour

Health warning. These are not low fat, not low calorie, not low sugar. These are seriously bad for your diet.

OK, end of warning.

Begin by melting the butter and plain chocolate in a saucepan over a very low heat. Purists will tell you that you should do this in a double boiler, but I find it works fine if you let the butter melt a little before adding the chocolate, and keep stirring. important - you are melting the plain chocolate only, NOT the Toblerone.
Set this aside to cool down and unwrap your Toblerone.
If unwrapping it yourself proves too time consuming, simply leave it within reach of your toddler whilst melting the butter and chocolate. It will be unwrapped and licked in record time. I'm not sure why the licking is necessary, but apparently it was unavoidable.

Chop the remaining Toblerone roughly. With the tiny bars it is enough simply to break them into pieces. With these bigger bars I needed to chop each triangle into 3 or 4. Like this.
Set aside. Side note - if, like me, you choose to place your chopping board on your draining board, and if, like my kitchen, your dishwasher is underneath your draining board, do not leave this chocolate standing on the draining board whilst the dishwasher is on its drying cycle. This chocolate needs to be firm when it enters the brownie mix, people.

Now take the eggs and sugar and whisk them until they are smooth. Add the coffee and vanilla essence.
Next add the melted chocolate and butter
Isn't that pretty? Keep stirring until it's all a rich chocolatey colour, and then stir in the flour. Finally, stir in the chopped Toblerone, and pour into a greased and lined baking tray and bake at 180C until they look done on the top and the mixture doesn't wobble when you tilt the baking tray. Or, until about 2 minutes before they look like the right hand side of this picture:
Ideally one would line the baking tray with greaseproof paper or a silicone baking sheet, but Little Fish has destroyed mine and tinfoil was all I had left. If you do use greaseproof paper, then grease it on both sides to get it to stick to the pan.


Allow to cool in the tin for extra fudginess and then cut into pieces
Eat. Enjoy. Waddle away from the table.


Tia

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to eat these until I explode.....think I will come over more often!!

Anonymous said...

Tia,

You are a GOOD friend!!!:-)

Loved the equipment post. Very informative.

We still don't have anything that works really well for Isaac when we're sitting in the living area together. Right now, we sit him on the couch, but when he's feeling good and kicking, you can't leave him there unattended. We like our Leckey chair. It's a borrowed one and not quite as adjustable as we'd like. He seems to like watching t.v. in it when he's really tired.

I'm sure you sometimes think like I do..."So much equipment...so little room!"

Alesha

Anonymous said...

I think there is about to be a national Toblerone shortage!!! I must try those on returning home next week!
Glad you two had a good day together!

Sarah said...

thanks for highlighting this post again - my kids and I have had fun making these this afternoon - one each for pudding tonight then the rest to take to Grandad's party tomorrow! they're in the oven as I type, I can't wait!

princessruan said...

hmm can i just ask so how long exactly does this bake for????

Tia said...

I find it varies according to the oven but somewhere around 40 minutes or so usually.
Tia

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin